In the lecture, I have learnt 5 different models of classroom management and also some theories based on the Great Pioneer in Modern Discipline. I found that it is very useful for us to think about the theory which you have shared and provide us some mentally preparation before working as a teacher in the future. As a teacher, we have to allocate our students’ needs in front of us. We have to make sure that all of our students will feel comfortable and engaging in the classroom and they will be able to share their thoughts and ideas with others. If a teacher could make the students feel actively involved in the class even on the subject, this could be helpful for the students to develop a good learning behavior and motivation of self-learning. On top of that, the need of belonging is also very important for students. Different kind of student has their own characteristic. Perhaps most students are very outgoing and active, hence, it will not be a problem for them to join with other group of students. However, there are a small percentage of students who are shy and conservative. They are not really good at social communication but they also desire to feel belonging to the particular group. At this point, we have to think some ways to help students to feel engaging and belonging to the classroom/groups. By doing this, we could arrange some group discussion, gathering or camping in order to enhance the relationship between students and teacher. Sometimes, it would be a good idea to teach students outside the classroom so that students will have more opportunity to interactive with each other and get to know each other. This let me think about one of the provocations = is teaching a professional or a trade. In my opinion, if we treat it as professional first then trade, we will feel more enjoyable to teach and will be willingly to devote more time on the students and always try to think a better way that suits students. As what you have mentioned during the lecture “the better I teach the subject, the less I have with difficulty classroom management.”
For the Krause’s article, I have read about the manager conflict and problem behavior. I will choose this article to read is because I feel that it is quite a serious issue that happening in school and I would like to learn deeper for this concern and how I could handle the problem if I were facing it. This chapter comprises a numerous ways of students’ misbehavior such as bullying and harassment, alcohol and drug abuse, racism, and sexism and it mainly focused on bullying. Krause had mentioned about the seriousness of bullying and pointed out that it is a worldwide problem. He also provided some case studies of how was it happened and how the teacher/school reacted to this issue. I found that this is very useful as he had given some ideas on how to avoid these kind of things happen and also how to react if we were facing on it. However, I have a question about bullying and not really know how I could do if I have to deal with the problem. Sometimes, the parents are the perpetrators for student’s misbehavior. If we found that there was a case that a group of students were trying to physically attack a victim and we inform the school principal and the school principal notified the ringleader’s parents. Before calling to the ringleader’s parents, we had no idea on his family background and soon we realized that actually the ringleader was living under the violent attack from his parents. Hence, this was the main reason for him to vent on other students. In this moment we could call the police and the related center who could handle this matter. However, the ringleader was still trying to protect his family and hopefully we would not call the police. What could I do with this if I were facing on this case?
For the five different models of classroom management, I would choose to study the interactivity area as I believe that it will be better to discuss with students instead of setting a lot of rules and require students to follow it. It will be better for the students to treat us as a friend and a tutor instead of just a tutor. Furthermore, if a student trying to disrupt classroom order, it will be better to talk to him after the class instead of yelling at him in front of other students. If we talk to him after the class, this will not only concern about his self-respect but also could understand his motive of disrupting the classroom order.
When I was listening to the story of Nick, I thought about my secondary school life. I used to have a friend who is as intelligent as Nick. Every time during the class, she would not pay attention to what teacher teaching about but kept talking to the friend next to her instead. One day, when she was talking to the friend as usual, my secondary school teacher asked her to solve a question in front of us in a sudden otherwise she might get punishment because of not paying attention on that particular subject. We were all very worrying about her because she had never pay attention to that subject and the question she was asked to do was quite difficult. Nevertheless, she solved the question easily and my teacher was feeling impressed of her. I guess that every student has their own talent on the particular subject. The student might feel either the task was easy to be done or he/she wants to get attention from the teacher. If I have this kind of students, I would either do the same thing as what you did to Nick = ask them to do something related to the subject I teach or give them a small quiz every month in order to test if they pay attention to what I taught and find out their weakness of the particular part through the quiz. Once I find their weakness of the particular part, I would be able to help them to improve.
No comments:
Post a Comment