PPLE 3rd Post
After listened to your story about the class revolt, my first thought was “it is not easy to be a good teacher as we couldn’t fulfil every student’s needs.” We have to be very flexible and tolerate every situation no matter the outcome is good or bad. If I really try my best to prepare and to lead students to the positive pathway but end up with “I was just not their type”, I think I will be very upset and frustrated in the beginning. However, I will try to think about my teaching method and also try to discuss with my peers to exchange ideas on how could I deal with these kinds of students.
I believe that students are forming attachments to familiar leaders. If their leader has changed to a new teacher, some of them might feel uncomfortable and will always try to disrupt classroom order and interrupting teacher teaching. Students will feel more comfortable with the leaders they familiar with because they have already get used to the way how they used to be taught and also the pace of learning. On top of that, both leaders and students have already known each other’s behaviour and characteristic and they will feel easier to deal with any situations compare to the new leader. When the new teacher get in charge of the new classroom, they will feel awkward and hardly to gain understanding between each others in the beginning, however, I believe that time will change one’s thought. When they get along longer, they will build up more on trusting, supporting, encouraging and positive recognition.
In my point of views, I think that the difference you have made between “freedom to do thing” and “freedom from all sorts of control” is quite useful. If we gave students freedom from all sorts of control, as a teacher, we will definitely hard to maintain classroom order. In this case, students will not listen to what we teach and choose not to come to the classroom. Not all the young teenagers will realize the importance of gaining knowledge. Most of them come to school because they have to instead of they want to. If we still giving them freedom from all sorts of control, I believe that those young teenagers who are not engaging to the classroom will definitely choose to do whatever they like to do instead of learning. The consequences of this will lead those students to the pathway of criminal as nobody could teach them what the differences between right and wrong are.
I have chosen to read the article about “Lee and Marlene Canter: Discipline” for this week. I found that this article is very useful for me in my future and I think that it is very interesting and easily to understand as it is closer to real life experiences instead of lots of academic theories. It teaches me about the student rights and the teacher rights. On top of that, it also clarified different teaching methods and the results of each of them. It suggested assertive discipline is the most popular among all of the other teaching methods. Furthermore, it gave some examples on setting the rules for students in the beginning of the semester and has to make sure all of the students understand all of the rules. By setting the rules could help the students know what they could and could not do during the lesson.
Now is the end of Module C and Module D is coming soon. I am getting used to the system of UC and also have already figured out what is going on for this course. In the very beginning of the course, I admit that I was very frustrated, nervous and everything seems very confusing to me because UC system is totally different from what I used to know. Because I was a music student when I was in my degree and what I needed to do is to practice hard instead of study hard. However, I was almost “faint” (exaggerated) when I realized that I have to study hard and also lots of writing tasks for me to do within three months! Luckily I am quite well-organized for my work and I managed to plan my study timetable in order to finish them on time (hopefully) and get a chance to look back what I have already done before summit it. And now I am getting used to this life as I found that I am very happy to have a chance to learn something new other than just piano! Hopefully I would be able to merge my new knowledge and my piano skill and pass it to the next generation! In terms of my language development, actually English is my third language. I learnt it when I was in my high school. However, I didn’t put much effort on it as during that time I didn’t realize the importance of learning English and also my high school just provided 5 hours English classes per week. I started to focus on learning English when I realized that I had to master English in order to come to Australia for further studies and studied overseas was my dream when I was young. Hence, I was working very hard in order to improve my English skill. When I first arrived Australia, I seldom communicate with other people due to lack of confidence and always thought that I am not good enough to communicate. It was my family and my boyfriend who lead me out of that situation. They kept encouraged and supported me. Now is my fourth years in Australia and I believed that my English skill has improved compare to my first year. I will continue to learn and to speak and my philosophy of learning attitude is that tomorrow I have to do better than today.
p/s: sorry I wrote too long… hope you don’t mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment